Embrace your inner-Italian with this tasty dish.
Only 10 minutes prep time
50 minutes cook time
- 1 pound ground spicy Italian Sausage may use ground beef if preferred
- 2 slices thick soft whole grain or white bread
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano chopped OR 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses may use regular molasses
- 1 tablespoon Gochujang Korean chili paste, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1(28 ounce) can san marzano tomatoes crushed by hand
- 2 tablespoons harissa optional
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced
- 4 ounce provolone shredded
- pasta for serving
- Preheat the oven to 230 degrees Celsius
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Add the ground sausage to a mixing bowl
- Take the bread and run it under water until dampened (but not soaked). Gently squeeze the excess water out of the bread and then crumble the dampened bread into pieces and add to the bowl with the sausage.
- To the bowl, add the egg, oregano, cumin molasses and Gochujang.
- Coat your hands with a bit of olive oil and roll the meat into 2 tablespoon size balls (will make 10-12 meatballs). Place the meat balls in the prepared baking dish and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the meatballs are crisp on the outside, but not yet cooked through on the inside.
- While the meatballs are baking, combine the olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, harissa (if using) and a pinch of salt + pepper in a bowl.
Find recipe blog by Half Baked Harvest here